Thursday, April 27, 2023

My Relationship with Technology

    Technology is everywhere from our classrooms to the outdoors. Today, it is extremely hard to escape it. There are pros and cons to everything, yet the lists for technology can go on for eternity. 


    My personal relationship with technology is probably what most people would consider unhealthy. When I was younger, there wasn’t as much technology as we have today, but I remember my parents placed me in front of the TV when they needed a break. I had a LeapFrog Leapster, a Nintendo DS, and even a PlayStation 2 all before the age of 8. I'm not proud of it, but I was definitely a tablet kid who needed to have a device in front of me to keep me from boredom. I would be on a device constantly to the point where it would be considered an addiction. Now, as a freshman in college, I use technology more often than ever, but not always for enjoyment purposes. I use my laptop and my cell phone for around the same amount of time daily. Yet the purposes for both are very different.

    My laptop is 99% of the time used for schoolwork. Whether that be for typing out assignments such as my blog posts or even searching the web for hours trying to find the right research articles to use. My phone, however, is strictly for entertainment and communication. I have around 7 forms of social media apps on my phone as of right now. I don’t post on all of them, but I surely observe everyone else as I scroll through my feeds. I can use social media for staying connected with my friends and family at home and learning new things daily. On the other hand, I also get sucked in and can become addicted. Once I get drawn into watching TikTok’s, I have a hard time putting the phone down. Additionally, social media can create self-image problems. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t one of those many girls on Instagram wishing I had other people's bodies and putting myself down thinking I am not enough. I was never proud of my frequent social media usage, but it is hard to put the phone down when my getaway from life is online.

 

    Technology is great and all for connecting with others, but it can be a serious distraction in your everyday life. Being an 8-hour drive away from home, the use of technology has helped me reach my parents and siblings easier. Sending a quick text or taking time to call them is the easiest way I can have instant communication whenever and wherever. However, when I am home, the use of technology has begun to drive a wedge in my relationship with my family. As a young adult, I use my phone differently from my parents. I have more social media and tend to watch more shows at the touch of a button, but that doesn’t mean they are on their phones any less than me. This can affect their relationship with others because of the frequent use of technology. Due to technology, there is less time spent with family and more time burying ourselves within our devices. Because of these issues, I feel as though my relationship with family has grown apart with the use of social media and other online forms of communication and entertainment. 

    With today's new advances in technology, future employers have more reasons to keep you from jobs. Being online and posting content creates a trail of information that will follow you for the rest of your life. These are considered to be digital footprints. These digital footprints can have a lasting impact on your reputation and future employment opportunities. The people that say to you, “Watch what you post on the internet,” aren’t trying to be party killers, but are genuinely looking out for your best interest.

 

    My online trail of information is short when you begin searching my name on Google. I was never one to post inappropriate images and flaunt illegal activities like some people. In fact, the most embarrassing image is a very old Twitter profile I created years ago and never deleted. I now no longer have Twitter and couldn’t possibly remember my login and password. The other few images of me are my LinkedIn profile picture and a few volunteer opportunities I took advantage of during high school that was posted on Facebook and our local news sites.

    I could talk about the positives and negatives of technology all day long. I personally believe there are more negatives to the use of technology, but it isn’t going anywhere soon. The best we can do is delete what we have and enjoy what we were naturally given. Spending more time outdoors and making a pact with family and friends to set aside technology and talk one on one can be beneficial to those who just need a break from the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment